A bank slumps. We behave otherwise.






One of these days I'll figure out how to align photos and words to make captions in Blogger, but until then, please forgive me and connect them yourself.

What a week! Emriver inquiries are steady, and in one day we had two separate planetary geosciences departments, separated by a few thousand miles, ask about using the models for space geomorphology.

(At first I thought I got that wrong. Doesn't "geo" mean "Earth?" Apparently you can be a "planetary geoscientist.")

And in the what the heck department, Cara and I spent two days in the field in St. Louis County. The photo shows, at right, her working on high right bank on May 1, and, left, that same bank as we arrived on May 12. Gulp. It appears that she was working upstream of the slump, and I think evidence of the huge pit she dug remained as a hollow in the bank (white arrow). We're working as part of a team doing emergency design to save both a road (at the big slump) and some houses.

Difficult fieldwork like this is a true test, and Cara exceeded my wildest expectations. We're lucky to have her. And here's a photo of me in the field, as we wedged in some work on the tail end of a flood.

Speaking of great colleagues (and the Em4), Jesse's done beautiful work on the pumping and control system. Today he tested the groundwater feed system. We're going for more than just function. Here's a photo of the main control box, with neon lights and a see-through front. Nice, huh?

Labels: , , , , ,