A magic day. Our house and family history.


Kate and I had a magic day.

We had a rare couple of days off together, and began to rearrange and clean some parts of the house. That grew into serious karmic purging of stuff.

And doing things we super-busy people rarely do, like looking at family photos.

Kate started off with "let's just do this one shelf," Ha! We ended up going through tons of things and fixing a lot of clutter and junk accumulation.

Kate found a whetstone, and that turned into a knife sharpening, and lessons on that from me. I bled a bit after my demonstration.

And I ran across a Gough family history written by a great aunt.

There has been a lot of trouble and disconnection in my immediate family, but my wonderful great aunt Sister Fides (Catholics on my Dad's side--the family reverted to Baptists when my Grandad died, very young, in 1939) did a genealogy/history in the early 1980's. Here's an excerpt, from a shooting in Memphis in the early 1940's.

Click on the image for a readable version.

It all turned out well! The eight year old shooter went on to be a WWII bomber navigator war hero, and the little girl lived a full life with no apparent effects from the bullet in her head (still going strong in Tupelo, Mississipi in 1983, forty years later, as Ruth Crook).

And I found my first cell phone, from around 1996. When Kate and I met ten years ago we both carried these big grey Motorolas.

And here's a photo of my brother Greg and me from 1963, in Hope, Arkansas.

And a photo of my Dad, from about 1960.




Labels: , ,