Drowning machines and communication.





We were busy demonstrating our river model, and I had time for only a couple of talks at the Governor's Conference on Management of the Illinois River System. These were on dam removal and dangers in northeastern Illinois. Many run of the river, low head dams are "drowning machines." This warning sign is typical, and I was struck by how our video work could better illustrate hydraulics at these dams. This sign just doesn't scare me much, but I think something based more on reality could.

Here's an example
--something I grabbed from recent work in which we were playing with our logo. Not quite right for a drowning machine (not enough backwater), but close. Are you afraid of "hazardous recirculating currents?"

The photos show Jesse demonstrating the Emriver model (and our video displays) and packing up in front of the Holiday Inn before heading home.

Labels: